The new Workspace in Sage 100 Contractor
Do more with fewer resources
by Pam Schulz, Sage Certified Consultant
Almost everyone is working with fewer, or at least different, resources. The new Workspace in Sage 100 Contractor software features can help you get more from your time and workspace.
1. Set up the Desktop, or the Menu
Make it work for you. The desktop is unique to each user and so it can serve as a valuable time-saver by filtering unneeded icons and even outlining a workflow. This can really be useful to new users who may not be familiar with a workflow, or a user helping in a new module. Many options exist:
- Hide the desktops and work only with the menus
- Use the system menu
- Customize “My Menu” – choose which menu options are on the list.
- Hide the Menus and work only with Desktops (Activity Centers)
- Choose which Activity Centers to show/hide
- Add, move, rename and draw lines and boxes to connect icons for menu items and reports
Use the MENU and SETTINGS buttons on the main screen to make these modifications.
2. Know your shortcut keys
If you don’t use the FUNCTION keys to access valuable shortcuts you may be working harder than you need to. A brief summary of the keys is below; you can review the Function keys in more detail with the handy HELP topic (lookup Function Keys).
F4- Lookup with “criteria”
F5- Display Lookup Window
F6- Drill Down
F7- Administrative Use- Field Properties
F8- Pick List
F9- Indexed lookup
3. Customize entry screens
Entry screens can be customized. Some changes are done globally by the Administrator and some can be done by each user.
- ADMINISTRATORS can change the properties of fields using the F7 key. In this mode, fields can be required, renamed, forced to use a list, and a host of other field properties that will apply to every user. Administrators can also add and modify Custom Fields.
- USERS can customize the GRID sections of entry screens by showing, hiding, and resizing columns. Right-click in a grid to access options. Be sure to “save the current grid view” to preserve your settings.
- Users can also customize the lookup windows by showing, hiding, and moving columns. With an open lookup window, right-click in the header to Show/Hide columns, the click and drag in the header to move columns.
4. Schedule automatic reports and alerts
Sage 100 Contractor has a dedicated “alert” feature in addition to the ability to schedule the automatic sending of many reports.
- ALERTS are created and managed at the menu option “7-6; Alerts Manager.” Alerts are simple “list-type” reports that can be sent to an email or to a Dashboard. Create and manage alerts using the Wizard in this menu.
- SCHEDULED REPORTS are Sage reports that have been set up to run on a scheduled basis. These can be almost any report, with some requirements around setting selection criteria for run-time. Reports can be sent to email, printer, or fax. The initial setup is done on the report’s printing screen (using the calendar icon) and then is managed through the menu option “7-5; Scheduled Reports Manager.”
The time-savers above are free and easy, they are already in your software. Take a few minutes to set up and learn a few things that will make the extra workloads easier to face.
Want more resources for working smarter during COVID-19? Check out this blog on working remotely.